Saturday 4 August 2012

What are Ketones??



Many low-carb diet programs recommend that you check your levels of ketones in your urine to ensure that you burn fat. The best way to make your body utilize fat instead of sugar is by lowering your carbohydrate intake. Consuming less than 50 g of carbs a day promotes ketosis, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. If you are in ketosis, it means that your body is burning fat and producing ketones. Ketones do not burn fat, but indicate that your body is in fat-burning mode.

Urine Ketones

You can use ketone strips to dip in your urine and determine if ketones are present in your urine. For most people eating a standard American diet, their carb intake is too high to promote ketosis and ketones cannot be detected in their urine. However, if you eat a low amount of carbs, your body will produce ketones and some of these ketones will spill out in your urine, which explains why you can verify if your are ketosis by checking your urine ketones. If your urine ketone test is positive, you know that your body is burning fat.

Ketosis Vs. Ketoacidosis

Many people confuse ketosis and ketoacidosis. Although both conditions are characterized by higher levels of ketones than what is usually seen in people consuming a high-carb diet and indicate that your body is burning fat, only the latter is dangerous. Ketoacidosis only occurs in diabetics treated with insulin. With ketoacidosis, their ketone levels are 5 to 10 times greater than what is seen in ketosis and people need to go to the hospital for treatment. In ketosis, which is a perfectly normal and healthy state for the human body, ketone levels are slightly elevated, but not to a dangerous level.

By-Product of Fat Oxidation

When your carbohydrate intake is low enough, your body starts utilizing fat as its primary source of energy. Ketones do not burn fat, but rather are a by-product of the oxidation of fat. Ketones can be used, instead of sugar, to fuel almost all of your cells, including the cells in your brain, muscles and heart. In fact, your body can run 25 percent more efficiently when using ketones instead of using glucose -- the sugar derived from carbohydrates.

Special Considerations

A very low-carb ketogenic diet can help you burn fat and lose weight while calming your appetite and cravings, according to Stephen D. Phinney, M.D., author of "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living." However, such diets need to be done properly and under the supervision of your doctor, especially if you have diabetes, high blood cholesterol levels, high blood pressure or take medications. Consult your doctor to have blood work done before and after starting on your ketogenic diet to see how it affects your health. If you take medications, you may need less medications when following your ketogenic diet and your doctor will help you adjust the dose as required.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the name of the book. will try to find it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have found the book you mentioned is in my local library, so have ordered it. Feel I am going on a fabulous journey, all thanks to my thyroid blood test results. Looking forward to experiencing the changes in my energy levels and my body. Am hoping that others will post their personal experience. In the beginning I wished I could keep putting bananas in my smoothies. Now I don' even miss them and put cinnamon, cacao powder and a bit of cayenne pepper and coconut milk and fermented yoghurt. health challenges can turn out to be such a blessing, as they can be the motivation for change. I also bought some weights and did a search "what exercies can I do with 2kg weights. Can't find URL, suggest try "8 minutes to get rid of your Upper Body wobbly bits" soon after starting I got a cold and a mild cough and my health practitioner told me that when you start it exercise the toxins in the fat cells are released and may be the reason for having a cold. I am loving my new life and feel fabulous with the foods I am eating. I don't miss white chocolate, but did love it occassionally. Have told my friends not to buy any for me. The other day I thought I would love toast, jam and cheese. Then said out loud to myself I wouldn't love it as much as being healthy. All the best to everyone making life changing choices. Enjoy it and love the new you that you are creating. My curves are starting to become more defined again and that feels great. When I bought the weights, i bought weight to put around my ankles and wrists. I wear a pair of ugg boots (not sure what they are called in other countries) and put the ankle weights (1.25kg on each ankle) and wear them when I am at home. I leave a set of weight near my computer, so I can use them while listening to the internet and have put an adjustable hand grip in the bathroom, so I use it regularly. Just fits in along with my day. All of this was inspired by havind the SECA body scan, which cost me the equivalent of US$66 An amazing motivator for me. was shocked to find that I am 41% fat, not drinking enough water and have low muscle mass. it also gives the overall health of your cells. If you live in Auckland, New Zealand call 440-9585. No it is not my business. it is the number for the practitioner where I had the scan done. I am amazed at how the results motivated me to make changes. Also i recently saw on the Dr Oz show that if you get more sleep it aids weight loss. I'm heading to sleep right now. also suggest have a look at coconutresearchcenter.com (have to spell center the American spelling) Have a read about oil pulling. I do it first thing each morning usinf coconut oil. Bruce Fyfe has some great books about coconut oil. i love his books "the new arthritis cure (this is a thin book and a quick read) and Stop Alzheimers Now. If you do the oil pulling don't spit it down the sink. Spit it in to a plastic bag and put it in the rubbish bin.

    ReplyDelete